Re: [Shop-talk] What is the best trickle charger? (and Harbor Freight Go

To: 'shop-talk' <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What is the best trickle charger? (and Harbor Freight Go-Jacks followup)
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:57:33 -0500
I have a Schumacher XC-103 that, like you said,
won't charge a completely dead battery.  It has
to sense the voltage to turn itself on.  This
seems completely crazy to me and I did consider
this to be a show stopper.  What's the point of a
battery charger  that can't charge a dead
battery?  Then I talked to a Schumacher tech
support guy who told me that if you press and
hold both buttons down on the front panel while
plugging the unit in, it will override the stupid
logic and start charging.  This isn't documented
anywhere.  With this little bit of secret
knowledge, this became a useful charger again!  I
wonder if other brands have a secret bypass feature.

-Steve

At 02:35 PM 11/18/2016, Karl Vacek wrote:

>A BatteryMinder requires battery voltage over
>some threshold before it will function.  Bought
>a Vector charger a few years ago and it died ?
>it also required some threshold voltage before
>it would charge a battery.  I have a 1975
>Schumacher charger on its third and I hope last
>set of diodes, used for emergencies ? itâ??ll
>start a completely dead car with a couple of minutesâ?? boost charge.

utox.team.net