Re: [Shop-talk] What is the best trickle charger? (and Harbor Freight Go

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What is the best trickle charger? (and Harbor Freight Go-Jacks followup)
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 13:40:54 -0500
--===============1770440969958242927==
 boundary="------------5C01B9DC2C7F86C939FCE730"

--------------5C01B9DC2C7F86C939FCE730

I also have a 2/4/8A model BatteryMinder.  Don't remember when I bought
it.  Maybe 10 years ago?  I bought mostly on the strength of positive
reviews given to the charger's de-sulfation circuit.  My hope was to
revive some (AGM) UPS batteries that had lost capacity.  Unfortunately,
after a few months' worth of tests, none of the batteries showed
noticeable improvement.  Perhaps their plates were just too badly damaged.

Seems to do a reasonable job slow-charging vehicle and mower batteries
though.

On 11/21/2016 11:12 AM, Peter Murray wrote:
> Another vote for the BatteryMinder units. I have a 2/4/8A 12V unit
> (model 12248), and it has been great. Adapts to different battery
> types as well (AGM, Gel, Flooded). It was a well-spent $110 at the
> time (2012, on Amazon). Not sure what they cost now.
>
> -Peter
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:02 PM, David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com
>

>     On Nov 18, 2016, at 11:46, eric@megageek.com
>

>>     Update on Harbor Freight Go Jacks.  They are not hydraulic like
>>     actually go jacks.  They DO lift the trailer with no issues and I
>>     can move it on pavement.  I does require alot of force to move,
>>     but that isn't the jacks issue.)
>

>>      I'm thinking the hydraulic ones are NOT preferred as they have
>>     seals that can go bad over time.  These are mechanical and there
>>     isn't anything really to fail.
>
>     Go jacks are entirely mechanical.  The lifting mechanism  The
>     habot freight version is a direct copy (probably exactly), just
>     made in China and with poorer paint and crappier casters.  But for
>     light duty use, they should work fine.
>>
>>     If you ever wanted a set, order them now for $70 each and save
>>     serious cash!

--------------5C01B9DC2C7F86C939FCE730

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      BatteryMinder.  Don't remember when I bought it.  Maybe 10 years
      ago?  I bought mostly on the strength of positive reviews given to
      the charger's de-sulfation circuit.  My hope was to revive some
      (AGM) UPS batteries that had lost capacity.  Unfortunately, after
      a few months' worth of tests, none of the batteries showed
      noticeable improvement.  Perhaps their plates were just too badly
      damaged.<br>
      Seems to do a reasonable job slow-charging vehicle and mower
      batteries though.<br>
      On 11/21/2016 11:12 AM, Peter Murray wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAJ8HLP-EgSrXWZmp8DwPjpiw51ZZtTcXuTXDEZsD-ki3Z7SSNA@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        2/4/8A 12V unit (model 12248), and it has been great. Adapts to
        different battery types as well (AGM, Gel, Flooded). It was a
        well-spent $110 at the time (2012, on Amazon). Not sure what
        they cost now.
          Scheidt <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:dmscheidt@gmail.com";
target="_blank">dmscheidt@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                  On Nov 18, 2016, at 11:46, <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                    href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";
target="_blank">eric@megageek.com</a>
                  wrote:<br>
                      Freight Go Jacks.  They
                      are not hydraulic like actually go jacks.  They DO
                      lift the trailer
                      with no issues and I can move it on pavement.  I
                      does require alot
                      of force to move, but that isn't the jacks
issue.)</font></div>
                      the
                      hydraulic ones are NOT preferred as they have
                      seals that can go bad over
                      time.  These are mechanical and there isn't
                      anything really to fail.</font>
              mechanism  The habot freight version is a direct copy
              (probably exactly), just made in China and with poorer
              paint and crappier casters.  But for light duty use, they
              should work fine. <span class=""><br>
                      a set, order them
                      now for $70 each and save serious cash!</font>
            ______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
            Donate: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel="noreferrer"
            Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br>
            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/archive"; rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/forums"; rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/peterwmurray@gmail.com";
              rel="noreferrer"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>

--===============1770440969958242927==--