Re: [Shop-talk] Why in the world do we need 'spinning' brake pistons?

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Why in the world do we need 'spinning' brake pistons?
From: Larry Spector <lspector@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:02:29 -0400
Cc: shop-talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000085756c0575c630c6

It has to do with the parking brake. There's a mechanism in the caliper
that pushes on the piston when you activate the parking brake. The spinning
piston is the self-adjuster to deal with brake pad wear so the system works
with worn pads.

I don't think it's all that new- my '91 MR2 had this, and it was likely
around for a while before then.

-Larry

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:54 PM <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> Can someone please let me know what the advantage of the new 'spin to
> compress' brake pistons are?
>
> Seriously, were cars flying off the road with no brakes and I didn't
> notice it?
>
> This new system requires more tools* (and they didn't even standardize the
> pattern), more effort, most of the time destroys the boot, and requires you
> to line up a pin with the de-tent so you can put the caliper on.
>
> So what am I missing?  Why are these better?  I would image they are more
> complicated on the inside as well.  Also seems that they require more
> machining/parts to make.
>

> *=I don't mind buying more tools, in fact I already bought the tool and
> I'm looking at an upgraded version of it.
>

> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson _______________________________________________

--00000000000085756c0575c630c6

sm in the caliper that pushes on the piston when you activate the parking b=
rake. The spinning piston is the self-adjuster to deal with brake pad wear =
&#39;s all that new- my &#39;91 MR2 had this, and it was likely around for =
ss=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:54 PM &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:eric@megageek.com";>eric@megageek.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div=
px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Can so=
meone please let me know what the
advantage of the new &#39;spin to compress&#39; brake pistons are?</font>
road with no brakes and I didn&#39;t notice it?</font>
s*
(and they didn&#39;t even standardize the pattern), more effort, most of th=
time destroys the boot, and requires you to line up a pin with the de-tent
so you can put the caliper on.</font>
these better?=C2=A0 I would image they are more complicated on the inside
as well.=C2=A0 Also seems that they require more machining/parts to make.</=
font>
ools, in
fact I already bought the tool and I&#39;m looking at an upgraded version o=
it. =C2=A0</font>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph

--00000000000085756c0575c630c6--

--===============2411375657280620993==

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============2411375657280620993==--