Re: [Shop-talk] LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG OVER DUE WINDOWS UPDATES

To: opposumking@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG OVER DUE WINDOWS UPDATES
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:30:10 -0400
Cc: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000371fbf05782f7c32

Nolan-

I have no problems doing anything with Windows 7 on the variety of PCs (and
bootcamp Macs) I run in and around my Shop, for clients and for family.

If you're having trouble with web pages, you many need a plug-in enabled in
your browser, or perhaps an adblocker or other protective measure is
preventing a page from loading fully (I have had this issue). I have yet to
run into an app that works in Windows 10 that doesn't run in Windows 7.

An additional note: The performance improvement of a SSD over a HDD is not
to be underestimated! If you'd like to see if a fresh install of Windows 7
would fix your issues, buy a 256GB SSD (<$60) and give it a try. That way,
you can set aside your current drive and go back to it if you so choose.

Happy to help further if you'd like.

-Peter (IT guy)

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 8:15 AM Nolan <opposumking@verizon.net> wrote:

> Recently had to reinstall windows on my old laptop.  Windows 10 was not a
> good idea.  Not as a free upgrade when it was released, not as an upgrade
> now.
>
> In windows 7/8 it ran just fine.  About 1 minute to boot up.  Opened and
> closed programs in seconds.
>
> With windows 10, boot up is about a 10 minute process.  Starting a progra=
> takes upwards of a minute.  It=E2=80=99s awful.
>
> That said, trying to do things with a windows 7/8 computer was
> frustrating.  Many web pages would not load or not load right.  Many
> programs would not install.

--000000000000371fbf05782f7c32

g with Windows 7 on the variety of PCs (and bootcamp Macs) I run in and aro=
9;re having trouble with web pages, you many need a plug-in enabled in your=
 browser, or perhaps an adblocker or other protective measure is preventing=
 a page from loading fully (I have had this issue). I have yet to run into =
an app that works in Windows 10 that doesn&#39;t run in Windows 7.</div><di=
ver a HDD is not to be underestimated! If you&#39;d like to see if a fresh =
install of Windows 7 would fix your issues, buy a 256GB SSD (&lt;$60) and g=
ive it a try. That way, you can set aside your current drive and go back to=
lass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 8:15 AM Nolan=
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:opposumking@verizon.net";>opposumking@verizon.net</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 =
0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
Recently had to reinstall windows on my old laptop.=C2=A0 Windows 10 was no=
t a good idea.=C2=A0 Not as a free upgrade when it was released, not as an =
upgrade now.<br>
In windows 7/8 it ran just fine.=C2=A0 About 1 minute to boot up.=C2=A0 Ope=
ned and closed programs in seconds.<br>
With windows 10, boot up is about a 10 minute process.=C2=A0 Starting a pro=
gram takes upwards of a minute.=C2=A0 It=E2=80=99s awful.<br>
That said, trying to do things with a windows 7/8 computer was frustrating.=
=C2=A0 Many web pages would not load or not load right.=C2=A0 Many programs=
 would not install.<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>