Re: [Shop-talk] soldering/brazing aluminum tubing to steel tubing

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] soldering/brazing aluminum tubing to steel tubing
From: John Miller via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 10:42:00 -0800
On 12/19/2018 10:08 AM, John Innis via Shop-talk wrote:
> I do not have experience with soldering or brazing, but I did have a
> similar issue with coolant lines on vehicle.  I ended up using a
> threaded connection on the steel pipe and a compression fitting on the
> aluminum tubing and a threaded adapter to join them.

I would think connecting such dissimilar and potentially reactive metals
requires some thought.

I have an installation on one car where a very clean and somewhat
abraded steel tube is inserted ~1in into a similarly cleaned brass tube
slightly larger ID and then some heated Metalset A4 epoxy was poured
into the joint and it's been in place for a decade, but YMMV.  This
could have been soldered, I guess, but the steel tube was part of a
valve I didn't want to heat.

Butted end-to-end?  Any reason you can't use similar metals on both
sides and shuffle the parts involved off to the local TIG guy?   Can you
at least get the AL out of the equation?

John.