Re: [Shop-talk] Cheap, strong, flat file storage?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cheap, strong, flat file storage?
From: Al Fuller via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:52:54 +0900
Jim - what is the budget?

Al Fuller
'65 BJ-8
'85 Rx-7

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk <shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net> On Behalf Of Jim Franklin
via Shop-talk
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 10:38 AM
To: Shop-talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cheap, strong, flat file storage?

An artist friend needs a way to store a lot of flat paper material but on
many different shelves; essentially a drafting storage unit but at an
artist's price. Safco has stackable plastic units similar to desktop units
that hold 8.5x11 paper, but they're 42 x 30 or so. Problem is they cost
about $60 per tray. Used drafting storage units are still many $100s.

We're trying to come up with a thin, strong material that can be slid into
slots in a frame, kind of like baking sheets on a rolling cart. The frame
needs to roll and be strong enough not to rack when moved.

I've made bookshelves and entertainment centers with 3/4 melamine and
threaded rod, but that's heavy and wobbly.  Even 1/4 plywood tends to buckle
and needs to have a finished edge.

Any ideas on what to use or repurpose?

thanks,
jim