[Shop-talk] WAS: Impact wrenches (heavy duty), NOW: Welcome to The Dark

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] WAS: Impact wrenches (heavy duty), NOW: Welcome to The Dark Side of cordless tools. Cookies are at the bar.
From: Steve Dillen via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 19:02:31 -0800

--------------B87548B3BCCBA4565B6D4845

Not sure that it's changing of the guard as much as the technology has
really advanced in the last few years.  Back in the day, I plumbed
everything for air and when I used to need a real tool, I'd run up the
compressor.  About 3 years ago I bought a Makita 18v hammer drill and
found battery life better than I was expecting....and power was better
than my corded Bosch hammer drill.

Suffice it to say, I now have a hammer drill, impact driver, impact gun,
drywall screw gun, angle grinder and a few lights and other bits and
pieces in this system.  I'm still on original batteries (but I do have 4
of them) and find recharge time to be about 20 minutes.  I can live with
that.  I do have a cordless (Li-Ion battery) Bosch screwdriver that's
probably pushing 8 years on and both original batteries are still live.
Actually, I found that the battery charger for that works with my
cordless Dremel tool (I also have 2 corded versions that never see the
light of day)

It's easy to underestimate what cordless battery tools can do if you
haven't picked one up in the last 5 years.  Unfortunately, my compressor
only sees service these days when I need to throw something in the
'blast cabinet or to run air ratchets (haven't found a reasonable
cordless option for those!).

Steve

On 2019-02-25 2:02 p.m., old dirtbeard wrote:
> Wow, I would not have thought that possible, but I see how it reflects
> the changing of the guard.
>
> If someone grew up without electrical cords to their tools, to have a
> airline to their tools probably even seems more cumbersome.
>
> Very interesting observation, particularly for an old timer who does
> not use battery-powered tools in his garage.  :-)
>
> I so worry about the landfills or where all these dead Li-ion
> batteries are going...
>
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 1:55 PM David Scheidt via Shop-talk
>

>     On Feb 25, 2019, at 09:11, Steve Dillen via Shop-talk
>
>>     This is probably blasphemy on this list, bat a year or so ago I
>>     bought a Makita 1002Z 18v impact gun and have found it to be VERY
>>     good.
>>

>     I was talking to the owner of a pretty big shop (15 or so bays) a
>     year or so ago. He said none of the techs under 30 had air tools.
>     They all use battery powered tools. He had to put in new outlet
>     circuits where the off duty toolboxes are parked

--------------B87548B3BCCBA4565B6D4845

  <head>
  </head>
      technology has really advanced in the last few years.  Back in the
      day, I plumbed everything for air and when I used to need a real
      tool, I'd run up the compressor.  About 3 years ago I bought a
      Makita 18v hammer drill and found battery life better than I was
      expecting....and power was better than my corded Bosch hammer
      drill.</p>
      impact gun, drywall screw gun, angle grinder and a few lights and
      other bits and pieces in this system.  I'm still on original
      batteries (but I do have 4 of them) and find recharge time to be
      about 20 minutes.  I can live with that.  I do have a cordless
      (Li-Ion battery) Bosch screwdriver that's probably pushing 8 years
      on and both original batteries are still live.  Actually, I found
      that the battery charger for that works with my cordless Dremel
      tool (I also have 2 corded versions that never see the light of
      day)<br>
      you haven't picked one up in the last 5 years.  Unfortunately, my
      compressor only sees service these days when I need to throw
      something in the 'blast cabinet or to run air ratchets (haven't
      found a reasonable cordless option for those!).  <br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAG1pxgYsWdhfb1+Su0Bis-Lo9UULJ=uxcLENMOtgcGNHEUcCqA@mail.gmail.com">
        see how it reflects the changing of the guard.
          to have a airline to their tools probably even seems more
          cumbersome. </div>
          who does not use battery-powered tools in his garage.  :-)</div>
          Li-ion batteries are going...</div>
          PM David Scheidt via Shop-talk &lt;<a
            href="mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              On Feb 25, 2019, at 09:11, Steve Dillen via Shop-talk &lt;<a
                href="mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
                moz-do-not-send="true">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
                  or so ago I  bought a Makita 1002Z 18v impact gun and
                  have found it to be VERY good. </p>
            I was talking to the owner of a pretty big shop (15 or so
            bays) a year or so ago. He said none of the techs under 30
            had air tools.  They all use battery powered tools. He had
            to put in new outlet circuits where the off duty toolboxes
            are parked <br>
            moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"