Re: [Shop-talk] question on LP tanks

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] question on LP tanks
From: Mark Andy via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:41:08 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000a9ae9a058320dee1

Howdy,

The normal way I check if the tank is empty is to lift it up along with one
I know is full, but that isn't going to help you.

If you slosh it back and forth, you should be able to tell there's liquid
inside if there's still propane in it.

All that said, my recollection is that there is indeed a safety valve that
doesn't allow the tank to just dump itself unless something is attached to
it.  I know I've had to tighten up my grill connection more to get gas to
flow, for instance.  Now, whether or not that safety valve is good enough
that it doesn't leak at all... Not sure there.

Mark

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 12:20 PM Tim . via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I bought my first ever LP tank last month. (I use charcoal when I grill
> year 'around here in WI.) I bought the tank to use with a newly purchased
> torpedo heater.
>
> When I hooked up the tank to the heater hose, the tank's valve turned out
> to be open about half way. The little plastic cover was on the valve so it
> appeared newly filled. I was not able to get the heater to fire up the
> other day when I tried for the first time. Since the temperature was in the
> low 30s, I just did the oil change without using a heater in my shop. I am
> wondering if the tank was not full or not....
>
> Do these tanks have a some sort of safety thing on the valve to keep them
> from emptying if the valve is not closed? Or was the tank just left open so
> leaked empty?
>
> Thanks
> tim

--000000000000a9ae9a058320dee1

nk is empty is to lift it up along with one I know is full, but that isn&#3=
9;t going to help you.<br><br>If you slosh it back and forth, you should be=
 able to tell there&#39;s liquid inside if there&#39;s still propane in it.=
ve that doesn&#39;t allow the tank to just dump itself unless something is =
attached to it.=C2=A0 I know I&#39;ve had to tighten up my grill connection=
 more to get gas to flow, for instance.=C2=A0 Now, whether or not that safe=
ty valve is good enough that it doesn&#39;t leak at all... Not sure there.<=
v dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 12:20 PM Tim . vi=
a Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>shop-talk@autox=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">

:rgb(0,0,0)">
I bought my first ever LP tank last month. (I use charcoal when I grill yea=
r &#39;around here in WI.) I bought the tank to use with a newly purchased =
torpedo heater.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
When I hooked up the tank to the heater hose, the tank&#39;s valve turned o=
ut to be open about half way. The little plastic cover was on the valve so =
it appeared newly filled. I was not able to get the heater to fire up the o=
ther day when I tried for the first
 time. Since the temperature was in the low 30s, I just did the oil change =
without using a heater in my shop. I am wondering if the tank was not full =
or not....</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Do these tanks have a some sort of safety thing on the valve to keep them f=
rom emptying if the valve is not closed? Or was the tank just left open so =
leaked empty?</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Thanks</div>