Re: [Shop-talk] motion lights

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] motion lights
From: Benjamin Zwissler via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 11:15:46 -0400
Cc: Shop-Talk List <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000004d7b405871ff25e

Another option, maybe better, maybe not, is to move to the "smart home"
type system.  I've done this and it separates the sensor from the device.
The downside is the range is limited, but some of the devices act as
repeater so can give you "unlimited" range.  I have a Samsung SmartThings
hub but there are several other options out there.  I have smart bulbs
which have the controller built in and I have a smart switch which controls
"dumb" bulbs on a circuit.  You can then buy motion sensors, door sensor,
water sensors, temperature sensors, etc to trigger the devices.  There's a
programming interface to set up how the sensors controls the devices.  You
can also choose to get notified when the system detects things and/or takes
action.

Ben...

--
Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@gmail.com

--00000000000004d7b405871ff25e

 &quot;smart home&quot; type system.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve done this and it separa=
tes the sensor from the device.=C2=A0 The downside is the range is limited,=
 but some of the devices act as repeater so can give you &quot;unlimited&qu=
ot; range.=C2=A0 I have a Samsung SmartThings hub but there are several oth=
er options out there.=C2=A0 I have smart bulbs which have the controller bu=
ilt in and I have a smart switch which controls &quot;dumb&quot; bulbs on a=
 circuit.=C2=A0 You can then buy motion sensors, door sensor, water sensors=
, temperature sensors, etc to trigger the devices.=C2=A0 There&#39;s a prog=
ramming interface to set up how the sensors controls the devices.=C2=A0 You=
 can also choose to get notified when the system detects things and/or take=
e"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 9:35 AM er=
ic--- via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>shop-ta=
 style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);p=
adding-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">OK, I&#39;m tapping t=
he vast wisdom here for
a problem I&#39;ve been dealing with for years now.</font>
 in
a very rural area and they are key to my peace of mind.</font>
at
an increasing rate and just stay either on or off. =C2=A0(I know they have
a feature if you flip the lights on and off they can override the sensor,
that isn&#39;t the case in these lights.)</font>
over 15 years, and the new replacement ones are barely lasting 2 years.
=C2=A0I&#39;ve tried the new LED ones as well (and LED bulbs in older style
ones.) =C2=A0I don&#39;t get lots of power fluctuations or outages. </font>
=C2=A0motion
light that is durable?=C2=A0 Preferably one that does NOT have the override
feature, if possible,?</font>
using
the failures and what I can do to fix the problem?</font>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>

ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>