Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers
From: Karl Vacek via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 17:26:11 -0500
Related topic.  I recently went through this consideration (still don't have a
new string trimmer or edger) and became convinced that the EGO stuff was the
best.  Based on reviews and videos - never touched one till I ordered it.

I started with their biggest blower, which came with the 5-AH battery and a
charger.  It's fine, I guess, but unless you push the "Turbo" button it's not
close to the power of my  50 year old Echo gas blower.  A fast clean-up after
mowing, using full trigger but not any time in Turbo mode, and I'm down to half
battery.  If it was leaf season I'd be taking a 1-1/2 hour break every 45
minutes.  And I swear it slows down as the battery runs down, though maybe
that's just my disappointment kicking in.

It was an Amazon purchase and it's going back.  Now I'm not sure the lower
hassle factor of a battery tool is worth it.  I still need a string trimmer and
an edger.

Going to the Stihl dealer next, and probably resigning myself to putting up
with 2-cycle engines for a while more.