Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky steering wheel cleaning

To: "'Shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky steering wheel cleaning
From: Randall via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 10:07:11 -0700
I don't know if this applies to your truck or not; but on my 95 Buick wagon,
I determined that the oils (or whatever) from my hands were actually causing
the old vinyl (again or whatever) to break down and become sticky.  It
quickly accumulated dirt of course, but the sticky seemed to come first and
the surface of the wheel was slowly eroding away.  It was made obvious
because the surface was dyed (?) to match the car interior and the colored
part was disappearing (exposing the dark gray underneath).

Easy solution for me was a leather steering wheel cover.  Wheelskins will
custom make a lace-up style cover to suit almost any steering wheel (I have
one of their custom covers on my Triumph TR3), but it turned out they had a
stock cover that fit the wagon.  Custom fit is the same price as stock, just
takes a little bit longer while they make it (and of course you have to
supply measurements).

This is their web site https://wheelskins.com/original

But, they sometimes run sales on eBay, which is where I got mine.  They
still made me a custom cover at the eBay price.

-- Randall