Re: [Shop-talk] Winterizing Sprinkler System

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net> mail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Winterizing Sprinkler System
From: Steven Trovato via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 10:02:05 -0500
I am not sure if that is a good assumption.  A
swimming pool is a closed system designed to
operate at whatever pressure the pump
produces.  A sprinkler system is designed to
operate at the pressure of the water supply.  A
sprinkler system may have hundreds of feet of
tubing.  I used a shop vac to drain lines on a
hot tub.  I can't imagine doing my whole sprinkler system that way.

I am certainly no authority on this.  I can just
tell you what I did.  If I was going to do some
more research, though, I would try to find
something on how to winterize a sprinkler system,
rather than a swimming pool.

-Steve

At 09:47 AM 11/8/2019, Scott Hall via Shop-talk wrote:
>Jim,
>
>I'm going to assume this is a similar thing to
>winterizing a swimming pool. Â
>
>For pools, there are frequent warnings abounot
>using a compressor to blow the lines, or to make
>sure to keep the PSI below 20. Â
>
>It is frequently mentioned that a shop vac or
>dedicated blower tool is preferred.  The
>thought is that to remove the air high pressure
>is not the goal (and that high pressure and
>damage the PVC pipe and related fittings) but
>rather high volume.  And that a shop vac is the better way to achieve that.Â
>
>At least that's what the internet said.Â
>
>I used my compressor, set to 15 psi.  I guess
>we'll know in the spring how I did--it just hit
>18 degrees here this morning. Â
>
>It sounds like your sprinkler system operates similarly. Â

utox.team.net