Re: [Shop-talk] NOT Covid-related

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com> definitions=2020-03-20_08:, , signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=999 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-1908290000 definitions=main-2003200089
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] NOT Covid-related
From: Pat Horne via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 17:54:59 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Check around your filter for droppings. If you have external air piped into
your system they might be coming into that duct outside to get out of the
elements.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

> On Mar 20, 2020, at 5:49 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk
> <shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

Well, except that I can spend more time at home, I guess.

Overall question: how smart can a mouse actually be?

So I noticed some mouse activity in the garage and the house. Put out glue
traps and snap traps. Caught maybe five or six.  Haven't caught any in months.

But a few days ago I smelled...mouse. At least I think that's the smell. Sort
of sickly sweet, like Simple Green. I didn't see any droppings. I was under a
heat register when it kicked on, and the smell was very noticeable. Then, last
night while I was in bed...I heard them. Scurrying in the vents.

There are mice in the vents.

Option 1) Burn the house down, claim insurance, rebuild.

Option 2) get them out of there, clean the vents.

Here's my dilemma: I must have a dozen traps around the house. Most in the
kitchen, pantry, and garage, where I saw them last. I haven't caught anything
in them forever. And I put traps near all the registers, nothing there either.

When I initially saw mice I put all the food in the pantry in glass or metal
containers and I don't see any evidence in the pantry either. I don't think
they're eating any of my food. If it weren't for the smell and the noise I
wouldn't even know they're there. I have no idea what they are eating, but I
assume they're not starving because they're still there. They're not touching
ANY of the traps. It's like they've...learned. Can mice do that? That's
disconcerting.

I pulled off the registers. I figure I can drop glue traps down there, and snap
traps if I'm really careful, but it's not like I'm just looking down at the
sheetmetal of the duct--the registers seem to be attached to a piece of 3-inch
tubing to the main duct. So while I can probably get traps in, I'm not sure I
could get them out. To say nothing of cleaning the ducts themselves.

The ducts are all behind finished drywall. So before I just demolish the
drywall and disassemble my HVAC system, I thought I'd ask you guys for advice.

The garage I can do the paint bucket with water and a log-roll type PVC tube.
And poison.

I don't have pets or small children at home so I'm not worried about collateral
damage and I'm so filled with hatred that I'm not worried about being humane. I
just want these little bastards gone.