Re: [Shop-talk] solar battery maintainer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] solar battery maintainer
From: rwil--- via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 22:26:49 -0700
Mark's example would probably do you fine.  There are some surprises
and exceptions that are worth considering.  5 watts would keep a
battery fully charged in most climates unless the Isetta has some
electrical load drawing down the battery.  If so and if you can't find
the source you can always disconnect the battery until you want to
drive the car.  a 5 watt panel, even if it is unregulated, probably
won't mess up your battery.  All that is needed is a diode to keep the
panel from discharging the battery when it's dark.  5 watts would take
forever to recharge a severely discharged battery.  A good setting for
the panel is the degrees above horizontal that matches your latitude
(32 or 33 degrees here in S. California).

30 watts could overcharge if the protective circuits don't work.  Most
12 volt PV panels actually deliver their full power at something like
13 volts.  If the battery allows it, the voltage will rise higher and
the PV panel's output will drop.  This is OK unless and until the
voltage gets to a level that is unhealthy for the battery, maybe 16
volts for most lead acid batteries.  Really good regulators can cope
with all of that but they tend to be expensive.

A check of purchasers' ratings can sometimes give you an idea if a
particular panel tends to overcharge unless it is disconnected at the
right time.

If you took the battery into the garage you could use a battery
maintainer that would not only keep the battery charged but do some
neat stuff to keep the battery from sulphating or otherwise wearing
out too fast.  I don't know of a PV panel that will do all of that.

-Roland