Re: [Shop-talk] Propane generator

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Propane generator
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 17:25:09 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000554f6205af105238

As you say, I think you are over regulating the supply.  We have propane
heat and when our standby generator was installed they measured the
pressure and said it was too low and that they would have to cut in before
the regulator to get enough pressure to the generator.  So, we have two
lines with different regulators.

Best,
Ian

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 4:51 PM Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a propane generator that I purchased 3 or 4 years ago for emergenc=
> use.  (
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-4-000-3-250-Watt-Propane-Gas-Powere=
d-Portable-Generator-with-Clean-Burning-LPG-and-RV-Outlet-GEN4000LP/2022229=
77).
> I have never had to use it, but run it every year or so just to be sure i=
> is there when I need it.  Up until today, I ran it off of a portable tank=
.
> However, we use propane for our heat, cooking and hot water and have a 50=
0
> gallon in-ground tank, so being able to run off of that would be far
> better, especially in an extended outage.
>
> We had the house rebuilt last year and I had the plumber stub out a line
> on the side of the house.   I attached a quick release connecter to the
> house line (
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HSYWD3/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title=
_o02_s00?ie=3DUTF8&psc=3D1)
> and purchased an adaptor for the supply line that came with the generator=
.
> The supply line appears to be a standard connector like you would have fo=
> a gas grill.  Here is the adaptor I used:
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E33GEM/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title=
_o07_s00?ie=3DUTF8&psc=3D1

> There were also a few assorted bushings and adaptors needed to make
> everything fit, but I am confident they are all done correctly and I
> checked everything for leaks before starting up the generator.
>
> The generator ran very sluggishly and didn=E2=80=99t put out enough volta=
ge to
> even consistently light an LED bulb.  I then connected it to a 20lb LP ta=
nk
> and everything worked perfectly.  I even ran the refrigerator for about a=
> hour with no problems.
>
> There is a regulator on the supply line to the house, so I suspect I am
> over-regulating the supply.  Still, I assumed that a regulator would put
> out a constant pressure regardless of what went in, but maybe that isn=E2=
=80=99t
> the case.  I checked the house supply to make sure there wasn=E2=80=99t a=
 shutoff
> in line that was partially closed, but it just runs straight off the main
> supply and the only shutoff on that line is outside.  I have an unregulat=
ed
> supply line that I can use, but didn=E2=80=99t want to do that without so=
me
> confirmation that =E2=80=9Chouse" pressure would likely be correct for th=
is
> application.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

--000000000000554f6205af105238

=A0 We have propane heat and when our=C2=A0standby generator was installed =
they measured the pressure and said it was too low and that they would have=
 to cut in before the regulator to get enough pressure=C2=A0to the generato=
r.=C2=A0 So, we have two lines with different regulators.=C2=A0=C2=A0<div><=
Stone &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:1789alpine@gmail.com";>1789alpine@gmail.com</a>&=
gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0=
px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div =
style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word;">I have a propane generator that I purc=
hased 3 or 4 years ago for emergency use. =C2=A0(<a href=3D"https://www.hom=
edepot.com/p/Sportsman-4-000-3-250-Watt-Propane-Gas-Powered-Portable-Genera=
tor-with-Clean-Burning-LPG-and-RV-Outlet-GEN4000LP/202222977" target=3D"_bl=
ank">https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-4-000-3-250-Watt-Propane-Gas-Pow=
ered-Portable-Generator-with-Clean-Burning-LPG-and-RV-Outlet-GEN4000LP/2022=
22977</a>). I have never had to use it, but run it every year or so just to=
 be sure it is there when I need it.=C2=A0 Up until today, I ran it off of =
a portable tank.=C2=A0 However, we use propane for our heat, cooking and ho=
t water and have a 500 gallon in-ground tank, so being able to run off of t=
hat would be far better, especially in an extended outage. =C2=A0<div><br><=
/div><div>We had the house rebuilt last year and I had the plumber stub out=
 a line on the side of the house. =C2=A0 I attached a quick release connect=
er to the house line (<a href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HSYW=
D3/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=3DUTF8&amp;psc=3D1" target=3D"_b=
lank">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HSYWD3/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_t=
itle_o02_s00?ie=3DUTF8&amp;psc=3D1</a>) and purchased an adaptor for the su=
pply line that came with the generator.=C2=A0 The supply line appears to be=
 a standard connector like you would have for a gas grill.=C2=A0 Here is th=
e adaptor I used:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E33=
GEM/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=3DUTF8&amp;psc=3D1" target=3D"_=
blank">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E33GEM/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_=
also a few assorted bushings and adaptors needed to make everything fit, bu=
t I am confident they are all done correctly and I checked everything for l=
or ran very sluggishly and didn=E2=80=99t put out enough voltage to even co=
nsistently light an LED bulb.=C2=A0 I then connected it to a 20lb LP tank a=
nd everything worked perfectly.=C2=A0 I even ran the refrigerator for about=
tor on the supply line to the house, so I suspect I am over-regulating the =
supply.=C2=A0 Still, I assumed that a regulator would put out a constant pr=
essure regardless of what went in, but maybe that isn=E2=80=99t the case.=
=C2=A0 I checked the house supply to make sure there wasn=E2=80=99t a shuto=
ff in line that was partially closed, but it just runs straight off the mai=
n supply and the only shutoff on that line is outside.=C2=A0 I have an unre=
gulated supply line that I can use, but didn=E2=80=99t want to do that with=
out some confirmation that =E2=80=9Chouse&quot; pressure would likely be co=
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=