Re: [Shop-talk] Cotter Usage

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cotter Usage
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 11:59:07 -0600
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000014812905b45141bf

About 1000 years ago when I was in A&P school I was taught to do style #2.
THe main reason is that someone will eventually need to reach their hand
into a tight spot past the cotter pin you have installed.  If you used
style #2, you are much less likely to leave sharp edges that will shred the
hands of the next guy who has to work on this thing.  I actually had an
instructor who would look for stuff like this and if she found that you
left a sharp edge somewhere she would deliberately run you hand across it
in a way as to cause just enough damage to get the point across.  Not a
lesson I needed to have repeated.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 11:40 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Got some 'quiet time' before I have to go look after my mom, and I
> thought I'd pose an arcane question to the List:
>
> What do y'all consider the proper way to use a cotter key/pin? I've
> watched the pros on TV--Edd China, Ant Anstead, Goblin Garage,
> Fantomworks, etc. and the 'Chop it/Channel It/Drop a Crate Engine In
> It/Bag It/Put Huge Dubs and a Gaudy Paint Job On It and Call It a Day'
> hotrod builders, and they all do it a bit different. Usually, it's 'Type
> 1'--see terrible hand-drawn 'art' attached (using a stub axle for
> example)--but I gave it a lot of thought and wondered 'Is that the best
> way?' Thinking it through, yes, any way you put a cotter in and secure
> it will do the job; i.e. keep the nut from coming completely undone.
> However, when safety-wiring--a skill I sorta learned maintaining my own
> aircraft--you're supposed to always wire so as to pull in the tightening
> direction, to resist any turning at all of the nut/bolt. So, when
> applicable--e.g. on castellated nuts--I torque until the cotter will
> just fit in the hole (drawing# 2), situated 'sideways'--where you can't
> see the eye of the cotter from the side--snug against the side of the
> nut's slot so as to resist the nut turning at all. Then, I bend the
> upper half of the cotter back over the nut/spindle, and snip the lower
> half at the edge of the nut, figuring anything longer than that isn't
> doing anything (plus it just looks neater IMO, and may be easier to
> remove if necessary).
>
> FWIW, my late father, who was an auto shop teacher and had a few
> psychology classes under his belt said I was 'stuck at the anal
> retentive stage' of child development; I (think) he was kidding.
>
> Bob

=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
=================================

--00000000000014812905b45141bf

ught to do style #2.=C2=A0 THe main reason is that someone will eventually =
need to reach their hand into a tight spot past the cotter pin you have ins=
talled.=C2=A0 If you used style #2, you are much less likely to leave sharp=
 edges that will shred the hands of the next guy who has to work on this th=
ing.=C2=A0 I actually had an instructor who would look for stuff like this =
and if she found that you left a sharp edge somewhere she would deliberatel=
y run you hand across it in a way as to cause just enough damage to get the=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Nov=
 17, 2020 at 11:40 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.ne=
quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,=
204);padding-left:1ex">Got some &#39;quiet time&#39; before I have to go lo=
ok after my mom, and I <br>
thought I&#39;d pose an arcane question to the List:<br>
What do y&#39;all consider the proper way to use a cotter key/pin? I&#39;ve=
watched the pros on TV--Edd China, Ant Anstead, Goblin Garage, <br>
Fantomworks, etc. and the &#39;Chop it/Channel It/Drop a Crate Engine In <b=
r>
It/Bag It/Put Huge Dubs and a Gaudy Paint Job On It and Call It a Day&#39; =
hotrod builders, and they all do it a bit different. Usually, it&#39;s &#39=
;Type <br>
1&#39;--see terrible hand-drawn &#39;art&#39; attached (using a stub axle f=
or <br>
example)--but I gave it a lot of thought and wondered &#39;Is that the best=
way?&#39; Thinking it through, yes, any way you put a cotter in and secure =
it will do the job; i.e. keep the nut from coming completely undone. <br>
However, when safety-wiring--a skill I sorta learned maintaining my own <br=

aircraft--you&#39;re supposed to always wire so as to pull in the tightenin=
g <br>
direction, to resist any turning at all of the nut/bolt. So, when <br>
applicable--e.g. on castellated nuts--I torque until the cotter will <br>
just fit in the hole (drawing# 2), situated &#39;sideways&#39;--where you c=
an&#39;t <br>
see the eye of the cotter from the side--snug against the side of the <br>
nut&#39;s slot so as to resist the nut turning at all. Then, I bend the <br=

upper half of the cotter back over the nut/spindle, and snip the lower <br>
half at the edge of the nut, figuring anything longer than that isn&#39;t <=
br>
doing anything (plus it just looks neater IMO, and may be easier to <br>
remove if necessary).<br>
FWIW, my late father, who was an auto shop teacher and had a few <br>
psychology classes under his belt said I was &#39;stuck at the anal <br>
retentive stage&#39; of child development; I (think) he was kidding.<br>
Bob<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
alk/jdinnis@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jdinnis@gmail.com</a><br>
mail_signature">=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<br>=3D Never offend people with =
style when you=C2=A0=C2=A0 =3D<br>=3D can offend with substance --- Sam Bro=
wn=C2=A0 =3D<br>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</div>

--00000000000014812905b45141bf--

--===============2594846928893671933==

--===============2594846928893671933==--