Re: [Shop-talk] Removing bathroom sink

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com> definitions=2021-02-02_09:2021-02-02, 2021-02-02 signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=999 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-2006250000 definitions=main-2102020120
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Removing bathroom sink
From: Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 12:16:31 -0600
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Might there be any bolts holding the sink to the wall? I doubt it but it is
worth a check.

You might try hitting the caulk with a hair dryer too.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Feb 2, 2021, at 12:01 PM, Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com> wrote:

I am planning on tiling the backsplash behind my bathroom sink and would
like to put the tile behind the sink.  (The alternative is tiling around the
sink, something I donâ??t think will look professional and will be a PITA.).
The sink, a porcelain vessel-type basin
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LGKGIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1),
 sits on top of a marble countertop.  The sink was caulked in place at the time
of installation and the only thing holding it to the countertop is gravity and
weight.  The only visible caulk was where the sink met the wall, which I
removed.  I also worked a thin blade between the sink and the wall, cutting any
caulk in there.  It doesnâ??t appear as thought the installer had the sink
perfectly level and I donâ??t think there is any caulk on the left side of the
sink. But. I think it is well glued by the caulk on the other three sides and I
cannot get a blade in there to cut anything. The sink wonâ??t budge.

The bathroom cabinet is floating and there is a clear shot between the bottom
of the sink and the floor once the drawers have been removed.  I disconnected
the drain and placed a floor jack under the sink (string on top of a couple of
pieces of 1x8â??s to protect the floor).  I placed a 2 ft long 4x4 under the
drain hole of the sink, which is a flat area providing a good â??jacking
pointâ??.  I canâ??t say how much pressure I have on the sink at the moment,
but it is enough that the 4x4 wonâ??t budge.  But, the sink still hasnâ??t
moved, no has the countertop, as far as I can tell.  My original hope was that
the jack would either break the caulk bond free or at least raise the sink just
enough to be able to cut the caulk with a thin blade. So far, that hasnâ??t
been the case.

For the moment, I am just leaving the jack in place with the sink under
pressure, but I am very hesitant to put too much pressure on it.  The sink
wasnâ??t all that expensive and I can always replace that if necessary but I
really donâ??t want to break the countertop or risk damaging the floor.  Does
anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim