Re: [Shop-talk] Replacement florescent bulbs F42T6

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacement florescent bulbs F42T6
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 22:32:18 -0800

--------------0DA3DCA9166BCC251DBACA76

re: "They say this is a direct replacement"

/Probably/ not. NOTE: "Ballast Required!"  I re-wired some old-school
fluorescent fixtures for LED 'tubes,' and had to replace the old
ballasts (purchased from Lowe's @ about $20ea). I hate ballasts, I hope
the solid state ones last longer than the analog. Sometimes, it's
cheaper to buy a whole new fixture, with ballast, than buy a ballast and
install it (if you count your time as a cost).

TL;DR: I don't think analog ballasts work with LEDs, but I've not tried it.

Bob

On 2/5/2021 8:28 PM, Paul Parkanzky wrote:
> They say this is a direct replacement:
>
> NYLL - (Pack of 2) Single Pin FA8 Base 42 Inch Plug & Play LED Tube -
> T6 LED Directly Relamp 25W 42" Fluorescent Bulb F42T6 (Without
> Rewiring or Modification) - Ballast Required! (Daylight (5000K))
> https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088FSTPX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J3J63CZD7TMEYDHGW8E8?psc=1
>
> $60 plus shipping a pair isnâ??t exactly cheap, but it feels cheap
> compared to $2400+...
>
> -Paul
>
>> On Feb 5, 2021, at 11:15 PM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>>
>> Ok, this is a literal 'shop talk' problem, as this bulb is in a
>> showcase in my shop (antique and collectables shop)  8>)  I hope
>> there are no problems posting it here.  But I know there is better
>> knowledge here than me.
>>
>> So, this showcase has a florescent light bulb F42T6.  (42" and T6
>> diameter.)  Which is a weird size length and very narrow, so I can't
>> get a bigger diameter bulb.
>>
>> Now, this bulb seems to only be available by price gougers, (Chosen
>> Supply has them for a mere $2,443.92.)
>>
>> Since this is in a active store and I can't easily remove the display
>> case to modify it to fit something else, is there any other
>> alternative for me?
>>
>> What I was thinking is they may be a LED replacement bulb that will
>> fit or something?  Anyone know of such a replacement?  Or a quick and
>> easy drop in replacement mount?
>>
>> Also, I may be closing the store in the next 6 months, so I don't
>> want to dump tons of cash into this.
>>
>> BTW, if any of you are in NJ and check it out and see something you
>> like in there, call me (number is on the wall) and it's yours for
>> free! (I need to move inventory!)
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
>> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
>> territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
>> -Who is John Galt?_______________________________________________
>>
>> Shop-talk@autox.team.net
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
>> http://autox.team.net/archive
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/parkanzky@gmail.com

--------------0DA3DCA9166BCC251DBACA76

  <head>
  </head>
    re: "They say this is a direct replacement"<br>
    <i>Probably</i> not. NOTE: "Ballast Required!"  I re-wired some
    old-school fluorescent fixtures for LED 'tubes,' and had to replace
    the old ballasts (purchased from Lowe's @ about $20ea). I hate
    ballasts, I hope the solid state ones last longer than the analog.
    Sometimes, it's cheaper to buy a whole new fixture, with ballast,
    than buy a ballast and install it (if you count your time as a
    cost).<br>
    TL;DR: I don't think analog ballasts work with LEDs, but I've not
    tried it.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:7E231156-6F72-46CB-A403-A2893EA84DB0@gmail.com">
      They say this is a direct replacement:
        Play LED Tube - T6 LED Directly Relamp 25W 42" Fluorescent Bulb
        F42T6 (Without Rewiring or Modification) - Ballast Required!
        (Daylight (5000K))
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088FSTPX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J3J63CZD7TMEYDHGW8E8?psc=1";>https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088FSTPX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J3J63CZD7TMEYDHGW8E8?psc=1</a></div>
        cheap compared to $2400+...<br>
            <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";>eric@megageek.com</a> wrote:<br>
              literal 'shop talk' problem,
              as this bulb is in a showcase in my shop (antique and
              collectables shop)
               8&gt;)  I hope there are no problems posting it here.
               But
              I know there is better knowledge here than me.</font>
              florescent light
              bulb F42T6.  (42" and T6 diameter.)  Which is a weird size
              length and very narrow, so I can't get a bigger diameter
              bulb.</font>
              only be available
              by price gougers, (Chosen Supply has them for a mere
              $2,443.92.)  </font>
              store and
              I can't easily remove the display case to modify it to fit
              something else,
              is there any other alternative for me?</font>
              may be a
              LED replacement bulb that will fit or something?  Anyone
              know of such
              a replacement?  Or a quick and easy drop in replacement
              mount?</font>
              store in
              the next 6 months, so I don't want to dump tons of cash
              into this.</font>
              NJ and check
              it out and see something you like in there, call me
              (number is on the wall)
              and it's yours for free! (I need to move inventory!)</font>
              "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your
              rights as a rational
              being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
              territory." Ralph
              Waldo Emerson <br>
              -Who is John
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>