Re: [Shop-talk] Lights bulbs that are 'connected'

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lights bulbs that are 'connected'
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 14:12:05 -0500

--00000000000040fd1105bd337276

The interesting result I have with dimmable LED lights is that when my
Lutron Maestro dimmers are at 0, I still have a little bit of light. It
makes for a not-unpleasant "nightlight" effect in several bathrooms in the
house, including the Shop!

I too use X10 (all bought in 1999 or so), and am planning to implement Home
Assistant (as a container on my NAS), and need to start picking up some
control hardware. What does this Big Brain Trust recommend? I'm looking for
dusk-to-dawn sensors, controllable light switches (preferably similar in
behavior to my Lutron Maestro switches), telemetry gear (for
temperature/humidity, occupancy, etc). Voice control would be a super
bonus, but I want all of the control to be local, so no Alexa or similar.

-Peter

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 9:46 PM <jem@milleredp.com> wrote:

> On 2021-03-09 15:05, Mark Miller wrote:
> > Different bulbs will work differently but almost any dimmable LEDs
> > should be fine to use.  Get one and try it.  The non-dimmable ones may
> > act strangely with the 'trickle' of connection you get with in line
> > control like the x10.
>
> X10 relies on a very low current.  Many LEDs do as well.  Not always a
> perfect mix.  Yeah, experimentation.
>
> John.

--00000000000040fd1105bd337276

that when my Lutron Maestro dimmers are at 0, I still have a little bit of =
light. It makes for a not-unpleasant &quot;nightlight&quot; effect in sever=
 X10 (all bought in 1999 or so), and am planning=C2=A0to implement Home Ass=
istant (as a container on my NAS), and need to start picking up some contro=
l hardware. What does this Big Brain Trust recommend? I&#39;m looking for d=
usk-to-dawn sensors, controllable light switches (preferably similar in beh=
avior to my Lutron Maestro switches), telemetry gear (for temperature/humid=
ity, occupancy, etc). Voice control would be a super bonus, but I want all =
=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 9:46 PM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jem@mi=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(2=
04,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On 2021-03-09 15:05, Mark Miller wrote:<br>
&gt; Different bulbs will work differently but almost any dimmable LEDs<br>
&gt; should be fine to use.=C2=A0 Get one and try it.=C2=A0 The non-dimmabl=
e ones may<br>
&gt; act strangely with the &#39;trickle&#39; of connection you get with in=
 line<br>
&gt; control like the x10.<br>
X10 relies on a very low current.=C2=A0 Many LEDs do as well.=C2=A0 Not alw=
ays a <br>
perfect mix.=C2=A0 Yeah, experimentation.<br>
John.<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=