Re: [Shop-talk] Compressor woos

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Compressor woos
From: Mike Sinclair <phoenix722@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 08:01:52 -0700

--------------2221E560CC6947AFB8717F26

If the motor is "humming" without starting, it is likely unable to
overcome the existing pressure.  Bleeding down as Jimmie wrote will ease
the load.  Do you have a long extension cord to the compressor?  This
will increase the load considerably, and trip the breaker.

Mike

On 8/10/2021 7:32 AM, Jimmie Mayfield wrote:
> On 8/10/21 09:23, John T. Blair wrote:
>>
>> compressor went to cut on, but it didn't start.  I could hear a
>> humming.  I
>> run over the the compressor, but before I can turn it off, it trips
>> the new
>> breaker.
>

> Try the following:
>
> 1. Turn the compressor off
> 2. Bleed off the pressure in the tank down to, say, 30-40psi
> 3. Turn the compressor on.
>
> What happens?  Does it start?
>
> Sounds like your unloader valve might be going bad though since you
> have a bonafide 5hp motor, I'm a little surprised it can't power
> through it.  What size circuit do you have it on?  30A?

--------------2221E560CC6947AFB8717F26

  <head>
  </head>
        it is likely unable to overcome the existing pressure.  Bleeding
        down as Jimmie wrote will ease the load.  Do you have a long
        extension cord to the compressor?  This will increase the load
        considerably, and trip the breaker.</font></p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:0fd32c48-1002-34ba-2b3e-938e4c7ff013@sackheads.org">On
        compressor went to cut on, but it didn't start.  I could hear a
        humming.  I
        run over the the compressor, but before I can turn it off, it
        trips the new
        breaker. </blockquote>
      Try the following:
      1. Turn the compressor off
      2. Bleed off the pressure in the tank down to, say, 30-40psi
      3. Turn the compressor on.
      What happens?  Does it start?
      Sounds like your unloader valve might be going bad though since
      you have a bonafide 5hp motor, I'm a little surprised it can't
      power through it.  What size circuit do you have it on?  30A?
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
      Donate: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
      Suggested annual donation  $12.96
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"