Re: [Shop-talk] Power lift hatches

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Power lift hatches
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 16:56:17 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000010a8ab05c962f8f7

I've been thinking about this and looking at the struts on our Subaru.
Some important things:  you can move it independently of the motor
operation, but it will try to move by motor if you do that; it can be set
to a "preferred" height based on key used or seat settings, and.only one
strut has a wire.

I'm guessing it's an actuator that uses some sort of drive wheel on the
rod, and a stepper motor of some sort to drive it.

Possibly it has lost its zero point?  It might be educational to disconnect
the hatch end and operate it unloaded.  See if it stutters then, and verify
the hinges themselves don't have a problem.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021, 16:35 <jblair1948@cox.net> wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> Got a different question this time, not compressors. My neighbor has a
> 2018 Ford Escape with the power lift hatch. A couple of weeks ago she went
> someplace and had the load something in the back of her car. She told them,
> "Don't close the hatch, I will close it from in here!" Well guess what,
> they tried to close the hatch. After that her hatch has had all kind of
> problems, not opening correctly/completely, not closing correctly, etc. She
> tried to pull the fuse to "reset" the controller for the power hatch.
>
> I'm spent a lot of time doing internet searches for "how do they work",
> "troubleshooting power lift hatches", etc. to no avail.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone know what type technology they use for all these
> power lift hatches?
>
> I only way I can think of them working is with a linear actuactor. And I
> did find an excellent video on linear actuactors and controlling them. But
> a linear actuactor is basically a long screw and a nut. As the screw turns
> the nut moves either up or down.
>
> If they are using a linear actuactor that can't be manually over riden.
> And I'd assume that it would bend
> either the hinges on the hatch or the actual hatch itself. And I can't
> believe that a manufacturer would build something like that into a car.
> Every one is used to pulling down on a hatch or a trunk. So it seems to me
> that having someone helping you load your car with anything is likely to
> try and manually close your hatch/trunk.
>
> So anyone know if these things are really linear actuactors or what they
> are? Untill my neighbor desides to replace hers, I don't have one to cut
> open and look inside. :)
>
> TIA,
>
> John

--00000000000010a8ab05c962f8f7

ts on our Subaru.=C2=A0 Some important things:=C2=A0 you can move it indepe=
ndently of the motor operation, but it will try to move by motor if you do =
that; it can be set to a &quot;preferred&quot; height based on key used or =
iv dir=3D"auto">I&#39;m guessing it&#39;s an actuator that uses some sort o=
f drive wheel on the rod, and a stepper motor of some sort to drive it.</di=
ro point?=C2=A0 It might be educational to disconnect the hatch end and ope=
rate it unloaded.=C2=A0 See if it stutters then, and verify the hinges them=
ref=3D"mailto:jblair1948@cox.net";>jblair1948@cox.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></di=
v><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:=
1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
  =20
=20
 2018 Ford Escape with the power lift hatch. A couple of weeks ago she went=
 someplace and had the load something in the back of her car. She told them=
, &quot;Don&#39;t close the hatch, I will close it from in here!&quot; Well=
 guess what, they tried to close the hatch. After that her hatch has had al=
l kind of problems, not opening correctly/completely, not closing correctly=
, etc. She tried to pull the fuse to &quot;reset&quot; the controller for t=
he power hatch.</p>
hey work&quot;, &quot;troubleshooting power lift hatches&quot;, etc. to no =
avail.</p>
 these power lift hatches?</p>
 I did find an excellent video on linear actuactors and controlling them. B=
ut a linear actuactor is basically a long screw and a nut. As the screw tur=
ns the nut moves either up or down.</p>
iden. And I&#39;d assume that it would bend<br>either the hinges on the hat=
ch or the actual hatch itself. And I can&#39;t believe that a manufacturer =
would build something like that into a car. Every one is used to pulling do=
wn on a hatch or a trunk. So it seems to me that having someone helping you=
 load your car with anything is likely to try and manually close your hatch=
/trunk.</p>
ey are? Untill my neighbor desides to replace hers, I don&#39;t have one to=
 cut open and look inside. :)</p>
rrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=