Re: [Shop-talk] "portable" AC units

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] "portable" AC units
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 18:11:06 -0700

--------------1EE5B073B4E242B607388D29

When the A/C crapped out in the house we were renting a couple months
ago we got a 'portable' unit for the upstairs bedroom. This was a
2-story house and even when we had functional central air the upstairs
was always 3-4degF hotter than the downstairs. The portable unit was a
little larger than a 13-gal garbage can and did a fair job (this when
ambient air was triple digits here in the Central Valley). It had a
single duct and an extendable panel to seal it in a semi-open window;
honestly, I don't know if it was for fresh air or exhaust (probably
exhaust, I think it just recirculated room air). I've seen similar units
at Lowes for $300-400.

Bob

On 8/22/2021 4:23 PM, Tim . wrote:
> Does anyone here have any experience with said appliance?
>
> My main wonder is where does the exhaust go? Does these things have an
> exhaust "port" that I can hook a hose up to and run it where ever?
>
> thanks

--------------1EE5B073B4E242B607388D29

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    When the A/C crapped out in the house we were renting a couple
    months ago we got a 'portable' unit for the upstairs bedroom. This
    was a 2-story house and even when we had functional central air the
    upstairs was always 3-4degF hotter than the downstairs. The portable
    unit was a little larger than a 13-gal garbage can and did a fair
    job (this when ambient air was triple digits here in the Central
    Valley). It had a single duct and an extendable panel to seal it in
    a semi-open window; honestly, I don't know if it was for fresh air
    or exhaust (probably exhaust, I think it just recirculated room
    air). I've seen similar units at Lowes for $300-400.<br>
    Bob<br>
cite="mid:DS7PR19MB46293C837EAB564A8479D349B4C39@DS7PR19MB4629.namprd19.prod.outlook.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}</style>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Does anyone here have any experience with said appliance? </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        My main wonder is where does the exhaust go? Does these things
        have an exhaust "port" that I can hook a hose up to and run it
        where ever?</div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        thanks</div>