Re: [Shop-talk] Un-warping butcher block countertop?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> 2903e8d5c8f:6.0.425,18.0.790,17.0.607.475.0000000 definitions=2022-01-02_06:2022-01-01_01,2022-01-02_06,2020-04-07_01 signatures=0 adultscore=0 bulkscore=0 clxscore=1015 spamscore=0 mlxlogscore=999 mlxscore=0 phishscore=0 suspectscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.12.0-2009150000 definitions=main-2201020155
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Un-warping butcher block countertop?
From: Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:08:11 -0600
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
I have a couple of those older Ikea countertops that I used for work surfaces
in my shop office. I supported them with large angle brackets on the wall. As
far as I can tell they are still flat.

If you can do without the top in the kitchen for a while, support it upside
down on the ends in the sun for a while to see if it comes back into shape. A
possible alternative would be to put a support under the center of it when
right side up & run a cable from one end, under the support & then to the other
end. Use a turnbuckle so you can keep the cable taught.

Last time I was in Ikea (last year) they didnâ??t have the solid ones, but
particle board with veneer. Would work well if you donâ??t need to cut or route
visible edges t& have plenty of support.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity