Re: [Shop-talk] Whole house tankless heater experience. Was: tankless/in

To: "1789alpine@gmail.com" <1789alpine@gmail.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Whole house tankless heater experience. Was: tankless/instant water heater
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:13:05 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_3508317_1777824101.1643375585362

 Jim, your plumber may have made that recommendation based on reliability a=
nd not necessarily on performance.=C2=A0=20

A coworker of mine installed a tankless heater because he has a wife and tw=
o daughters who would regularly empty the 30 gallon tank when showering.=C2=
=A0 He noted that the heater would delay heating water to the point that th=
e front-loading washer would never draw water long enough to get it to kick=
 in.=C2=A0 My speculation is that the manufacturer programmed in a delay to=
 confirm a good, solid hot water demand in pursuit of their energy rating.
15 feet of 1/2 inch tubing will hold about .05 gallons of water.=C2=A0 Most=
 shower heads deliver 1 GPM.=C2=A0 That means it should take about 3 second=
s to purge the cold water out of the line.=C2=A0 OK, 6 seconds if you are d=
rawing a mix of hot and cold.=C2=A0 Several minutes is probably the heater =
control.=C2=A0 Maybe the flow switch is not sensitive enough to detect the =
flow at that level.
=20
Dave=20

=20