Re: [Shop-talk] hearing protection

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hearing protection
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 15:01:02 -0400

--------------T3dZ26DGgEl3X1JU4oghAabp

I use a pair of Etymotic ER4P earphones.  They're not noise-cancelling
but they're rated down to 42dB noise reduction if you use foam tips.
That's enough to reduce my lawn mower to a distant hum even if I'm not
listening to music.  Downside is they're old-school wired earphones, not
bluetooth but you can buy a bluetooth receiver on Amazon for $10.

Looks like the ER4P isn't available anymore and have been replaced by
the ER4XR (for increased bass response) and ER4SR (for balanced
response).  I'm sure the isolation of the new models is just as good or
better.

I'm not sure I'd recommend using these when running or riding a bike.
They provide what I would describe as a dangerous level of noise isolation.

On 6/2/22 13:11, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Brain Trust.
>
> I'm looking for new hearing protectors and I was wondering if anyone
> could give me a recommendation.
>
> Ideally I would like the following features.
>
> 'ear bud' style (prefer if they are connected to each other with a
> cable but not required)
> Noise Canceling
> Bluetooth connection to listen to music
> Can be used for firing a weapon
> Can be worn while running
--------------T3dZ26DGgEl3X1JU4oghAabp

  <head>
  </head>
      earphones.  They're not noise-cancelling but they're rated down to
      42dB noise reduction if you use foam tips.  That's enough to
      reduce my lawn mower to a distant hum even if I'm not listening to
      music.  Downside is they're old-school wired earphones, not
      bluetooth but you can buy a bluetooth receiver on Amazon for $10.</div>
      anymore and have been replaced by the ER4XR (for increased bass
      response) and ER4SR (for balanced response).  I'm sure the
      isolation of the new models is just as good or better.<br>
      when running or riding a bike.  They provide what I would describe
      as a dangerous level of noise isolation. <br>
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";>eric@megageek.com</a>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:OF6779C27D.B159A96F-ON85258855.005DC13D-85258855.005E65A1@mail.megageek.com">
        protectors
        and I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation.</font>
        following features.</font>
        are
        connected to each other with a cable but not required)</font>
        music</font>

--------------T3dZ26DGgEl3X1JU4oghAabp--

--===============4762204710641208196==

--===============4762204710641208196==--