Re: [Shop-talk] homeowner/ shop guy cordless drill

To: eric@megageek.com, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] homeowner/ shop guy cordless drill
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 19:58:59 -0500
On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 5:17â?¯PM <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> OK, this has generated a ton of traffic, so I'll weigh in.
>
> I'm a yellow and black guy.  Dewalt is my go to for cordless.  They are solid
> and have tools you've never even heard of before.
>
> They have adaptors so you can use the old 18v NiCd with the new 20 Li
> batteries. So you can get the NOS tools for pennies on the dollar and they
> will work with the new batteries.

One of the reasons the old nicad tools are cheap is because they suck,
compared to modern tools of any brand, even cheap ones.  They're
designed around the power output of the battery pack, and the nicad or
NiMH batteries didn't provide much power.  This is perfectly fine for
things that don't draw much power, but it's pretty limiting for
anything that drills, saws, or grinds.   it's also why cordless saws
used to be so incredibly gutless, but there are now cordless table
saws that work as well as most jobsite corded table saws.

Discharge current of a sub-c nicad (the cell in most nicad tool
battery packs)  is somewhere around 2 to 4 A; the lithium cells used
in modern tools can produce 10 to 30A depending on the particular
cells in the pack; milwaukee high output packs[1] (which use
physically larger 21700 cells, instead of 18650 in their other packs,
and commonly used by everyone else) can go even higher.  That means
18V lithium packs with three sets of cells in parallel have more
potential power output than a 15A 120V receptacle, and tools with a
pair of batteries (common for miter and table saws) are quite capable
of taking advantage of that.

[1] pretty sure other brands have 21700 packs, too.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com