Re: Spitfire Door Lock Problem

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Door Lock Problem
From: Dave Simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 22:39:44 -0400
<<SNIP>>

> David Moag wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > While I'm building a new inner door panel for my Spit's passenger
> door,
> > I've decided I should at least TRY to fix the problem with the door
> lock
> > that's been there as long as I've owned it. It ALWAYS will open when
> using
> > the door release on the inside of the door, but the outside handle
> only
> > opens it once every 2 or 3 attempts.
> >
> > Any suggestion on where to begin in figuring out why? Thanks for any
> help!
> >
> > Dave Moag
> > 77 Spitfire
> > 62 TR3B

  I had the same problem with my 76 Spitfire.  There is a small plastic
piece TRF
part # 520260 or 520261 that  brakes.   I got a whole  door latch
assembly ( used)
and replace that part along with the tumbler (to use the same key).  We
had to go through a number of used latchs to find one that was not
broken.  Can not comment on how hard it was to do since I had it done
while it was getting painted.

 Dave Simpson
NE Ohio
76 spitfire, orginal owner