Re: Rust and MOT

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Rust and MOT
From: "Dr T. Dafforn" <td214@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:41:10 +0100 (BST)
James,

I found a similar hole when I was stripping the tub of my spit...
Initially it looked small but with a bit of poking with the old faithfull
screw driver it became apparent that under the underseal it the hole
extended  half way round the reenforceing washer! The condition was
identical on both sides...
I ended up cutting out a 3 inch square section centred on the bolt hole
and welding in a higher guage steel plate...
It was quite easy to get at once the rear wheels were off.

As to the MOT, I think it is probably a failure, after all any wear on the
belt itself is an immediate fail..
And anyhow I would have trusted the old fixings I had to holding the
belt in a crash...

                Cheers
                                Tim