Re: A/C in a Spitfire (with no mechanical power from engin)

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk
Subject: Re: A/C in a Spitfire (with no mechanical power from engin)
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 06:33:25 PDT
At school I have helped build and compete alternative fuels vehicles.
We take stock cars that the Big 3 give us and convert them in various
ways so that they don't run off gasoline anymore.  The second such car
was a hybrid-electric Chevy Lumina.  The stock drive train was replaced
with a GE 100hp electric motor that drove the drive shaft.  (no real
tranny, electric motors have flat power curves and constant output,
variable gear reduction is not necessary)  This car also had a Suzukki
1.0L 3cyl engine onboard that ran off propane that drove a huge
alternator to recharge the batteries when the car drained them.

Ok here comes the point..  Since the car doesn't always have a running
combustion engine there is no way to rig up a traditional mechanically
driven HVAC system.  So what we came up with was a scaled down electric
heat pump cycle.  It was more interesting in theory than practice.  Heat
pumps though efficient in energy consumption do not cool or heat that
well, especially in this raw proto-type form.  It was enough to pass the
comfort tests of the Future Car Challenge (96-97) but if I was in Texas
right now I doubt it would hardly phase the heat.

Just thought someone might find this interesting

Ryan Smith
Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
Emerald Green, 72 Spitfire