Rear End & RUST .. couple of questions.

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear End & RUST .. couple of questions.
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:39:40 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All!
I've run across a couple of things I'd like to get some input on from
the list...

While my father is off rebuilding the cylinder head of my '77 spitfire
1500 he asked me to jack up the car and take a look underneath at the
sagging rear suspension... I'm glad he did...

1. I noticed rust along the frame. It seems to be confined to the rear
and is "spotty" at best. It does not appear there is enough of it to
compromise the integrity of the frame... but what can I do to stop it
before it becomes a problem? My father had this "rust nuetralizer"
which I sprayed over all the rusted areas... it bubbled and did,
indeed, dissolve away the existing rust... but now what?

2. My spit looks like Godzilla stepped on the trunk... I noticed the
rusted spring (leaf spring?) spanning the rear wheels. It looks really
weak. Will simply replacing it take care of the problem? Should I get
shocks while I'm at it? Any suggested shocks?

3. Also... my father wanted me to throw this in: We understand from a
the block are normal and are compensated by the metal "ring'd" head
gasket... What we don't understand is why are they recessed at all?
What is the purpose (or reason) of their existance??

I tugged on the driveshaft and saw the u-joint was out. (really out
like we are talking jello here) -- Pulling the driveshaft and
replacing the u-joint seemed fairly easy and straight-forward.
Anything I need to know ahead of time? (I really don't think so)

I also spent the entire evening tonight working on the exhaust (pulled
the whole pipe and swapped out a bad muffler)... Geeez there is a lot
of work to be done here!

Thanks for any suggestions / advice.

--Rick