Spitfire Clutch Job - Update

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Clutch Job - Update
From: Andrew Lindeman <drfaustus@london.crosswinds.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:03:42 -0400 (EDT)
First off, I want to thank all the people who responded to my first post.  All
the
suggestions helped a lot.  We now have the transmission bell housing nearly
flush to
the engine.  There is about a credit card sized gap in the lower right side.
The question I have now is this.  With the transmission so close to the engine,
is
there any possible way the splines aren't locked?  I can still spin the output
shaft of the transmission.  Is it possible the clutch is somehow disengaged?  We
drained all the fluid from the clutch system, but that shouldn't disengage the
clutch
or should it?  The only thing I could think of is I might not be fully in gear.
I'll mount the gear change assembly and bounce through I few gears when I get
back home,
but I'd like to entertain some other ideas.

Andy L.
'70 Spit - with a '67 Spit in her garage space...