Re: Rear Wheel Slave Cylinder

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel Slave Cylinder
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:59:32 +0000
I went to the my local classic's garage, enquiring about an MOT.  The
said they send there MOT's almost all Spitfires and MG's to the garage
300Yrds from my house, so I recon I could even push my car there if it
came to it:-)  Anyway I asked about a rear -wheel slave cylinder, he
picked up a selection of about 5, I sorted out the ones that looked
about it.  He then said borrow them for a bit, find the correct one for
your car, bring the rest back.  So I did, the two I took back seemed to
be the same size.  One Orriginal Guring, the other an reporduction.
Guess which one I took.   I had a look at the difference, and it was
amaing,  the alloy and casting on the Guring looked harder and better
done.  The major difference was with the milling.  The milling on the
repro was not in the same class as the guring from what I could see I
recon a set of seals would last twice as long with the guring as the
repro.

So my conclusion, don't touch brake cylinders that don't have guring
written on the side of them.  I would sooner trust a 100,000 mile guring
cylinder than a new repro.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot