Re: Paint Questions

To: fred griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Paint Questions
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 12:25:47 -0400
At 09:19 PM 8/22/98 -0700, fred griffiths wrote:
>Hello all,
>       I've been on the Triumph list for a while, but as I don't own a
>TR2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 thought I'd keep the the Spitfire list.

Good Move!

>       I'm having the chassis done in Endura, gloss black - pretty
>standard I guess.

Actually no.  The frame should be body colour.   Suspension components and
other things like radiator and hydraulic cylinder supports are black.

>My question is - to do bolt heads, nuts, washers,
>small bits that didn't make it to the body shop, etc - what kind of
>preparation would you do?  I have a very small sandblaster in my garage,
>but after that what would you use - primer, undercoat, paint etc?

I painted the suspension, hardware, and other black bits with POR 15
rust-inhibiting paint.  Some things got a quick topcoat if I thought the
sun would hit them (POR breaks down under sunlight).

Have fun with your restoration!

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA