Spitfire Tranny Question : Disassembly

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Tranny Question : Disassembly
From: Chris <spitfire@cyber-west.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:32:34 -0600
All;

Just re-joined the list recently and hope someone has done a tranny
rebuild on a '78 Spitfire.  I have the tranny out.  The bell housing is
off, the tail housing is off.  I have the shifter forks out as well.  I
am now stuck at a puzzle point.  I have pressed out the main saft
bearings on both ends after removing the circlips.  Now what ? The book
mentions pressing the speedo gear off.  Is this right ? Then they
indicate the bearing on the output side needs to slide off the output
shaft ? I must be missing something, can anyone shed some light on this
?

The tranny has been at this stage of disassembly for a couple of months
since I got frustrated and did not want to destroy such an elegant
design...

Any help would be appreciated !!!

Chris in Utah
spitfire@cyber-west.com