Re: SPITFIRE: Dead Wipers

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: SPITFIRE: Dead Wipers
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@tibco.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:57:38 -0500
Ed,

As I was pointed to it when I had trouble...check out
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wiper-motor/ for some guidance.
I ended up having to replace my wiper motor due to bad brushes in the
motor itself. But I could narrow it down a bit by noticing the heat
coming from the motor when on.

I actually have my "column cluster" all apart for the horn/dimmer/turn
signal replacement (turned rebuild - not fun - old wire connectors)

Will follow up later with wiring info..

Vic

Edward Hamilton wrote:

> Electrical question to anyone thats been there regarding my '80 Spit.
> Five wires (from the harness) travel to the wiper switch.
> Green/Brown
> Red/Green
> Green
> Green/Blue
> The fifth goes directly into the bottom end of the wiper stalk.
> There is a Black wire attached to the same spade as the Green (above)
> and currently dangling.  I can find no reference to it in the
> schematics, but it looks as though it is a ground wire and once soldered
> to the outer edge of the bottom of the stalk.  The conductor of this
> wire is not copper, but rather a braided nickel.  However, with the
> ignition on, this is a live wire.
> Anyone have any idea where it goes and is this why the wipers aren't
> working?
>
> Regards,
> Ed Hamilton

Victor Michael                     |           vmichael@tibco.com
Systems Engineer                   |         Voice (312) 214-2327
TIBCO Finance Technology Inc.      |         Pager (800) 759-8888
CTS, Chicago                       |                 Pin# 1583904