To re-bore or not to re-bore?

To: Spit Fires <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: To re-bore or not to re-bore?
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 14:54:11 +0000
Help, Just found out the price of a re-bore for the 1500 from the
machine shop in Oxford.  For my spair block, my current engin has low
oil pressure (oil pump related) and blow by and is the 61bhp (not
75)1300 form.

Pistons 140 quid
Re-bore  50 quid
Re-grind 56 quid
Big ends,
trust washers,
and bearings  50 quid
Oil pump 96 quid

Total more than I wan't to spend

Now then what do I do.

Get an oil pump re-pair kit from TRGB for 19 quid, and grind the
aluminium face on a sheet of glass if needed.

Get the whole pump for 65 quid from TRGB

Get new bigends, thrust washers and bearings from TRGB (20 quid).
Leave the crank, or re-grind the crank.

The bores have know lip at the top, so I could posibly get away with the
TRGB pistons and rings fro 65 quid, but I don't know what size the old
ones are.  Do you know how too tell.

Get a second hand Midget 1500 engin that the local garage have offered
for 200 quid.  They say I can have my money back if it has low oil
pressuer or low compression.

Get an engin from a Spitbits (the UK breakers yard)

I hope to get the new endin in withing the next two weaks.