Re: Chrome bumpers

To: "Neil McAllister" <neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Chrome bumpers
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:27:25
Neil, I agree the chrome will look alot nicer, the problem you will run
into is on the front bumper.  The 1979 and 1980 bumper mounts are
different.  On <1978 vehicles there is a plate that comes off of the mount
and bolts to it to hold on the Foam stops. on >1979 vehicles the plate is
welded on to the bumper mount in an inverted position.  This is very doable
but you will either need to replace the entire mount (not recommended) or
do some fancy welding  to change the way the plate mounts up.  I myself am
using a 1976 frame so I am not worrying too much about it.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire