Re: Cranky nuts

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cranky nuts
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

---Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Andrew Lindeman wrote:
>
> > I'm having a tough time at something and wonder if anyone can
offer some advise.

> > I'm trying to replace my timing chain, and other bits in there,
and cannot loosen
> > the nuts from the end of the crank shaft.  Currenty I have the
handbrake pulled
> > TIGHT.  I also have my ski pole between my brake pedal and drivers
seat.  I
> > still cannot move the nut without moving the whole car (it's in
first gear).
> > Any suggestions?
>
> This will sound painful, and it will also sound like a true "bodge",
but
> it works (assuming you don't have access to a really good air impact
> wrench, which should remove the nut in short order).
>
> Put your socket (3/4" drive) on the nut, put the big breaker bar on
it,
> and leave the breaker bar facing up. Put the car in neutral and hit
the
> starter. Ouch? Yes, but after one or two "impacts" of that handle on
the
> chassis rail, that nut will loosen up. I've done it several times, and
> I've yet to cause any damage to anything. Of course, if something
should
> be damaged in the course of this exercise, remember my name: Joe
Curry!
> :-)
>
> --Andy

it seems to me that there is an easier way of doing this, and it won't
have any chance of hurting the car.  instead of bumping the starter,
why not hit the breaker bar with a hammer.  this worked fine for me,
and my spitfire suffered NO damage in the process.  unless, of course,
you WANT to beat on the front frame members...

nik jaremka
72 spitfire
east aurora, ny