Re: Installing New Carpet

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Installing New Carpet
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 08:23:33 -0400
David Moag wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> As my case of shipwrights disease expands (upgrading to overdrive ending up
> also including re-wiring much of dash, getting a new stereo, replacing the
> carpeting, etc...) I just purchased a carpet kit from Spitbits for my 77
> Spitfire. All of the pieces seem to generally be the correct size and shape,
> but none appear to be perfect matches. From your collective experiences:
>
> 1) is this normal (my guess is that the answer is yes, regardless of where
> you buy the kits)
>
> 2) is it better to trim off the excess as best you can, or to tuck the
> excess under the piece that goes down next
>
> Any other helpful hints from those who've already done this would (as usual)
> be greatly appreciated! I'm planning to use 3M General Adhesive spray for
> holding most of the carpet down unless the consensus is against this.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Dave Moag
> 77 Spitfire

The only parts that are glued down on my car are the
pieces on the outside of the footwells and the rear
parcel shelf. The section under the seats is held in
by the seat tracks. The pieces on the floorboards
are snapped in. Oh yes, I forgot that the pieces on
the side rails are also glued down. I don't know if
the 3M adhesive will work. It may not be strong enough.
You may have to use a glue intended for carpeting.

--
Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net