Re: 1961 Triumph Herald for Sale

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil
Subject: Re: 1961 Triumph Herald for Sale
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 15:25:48 -0400 ()
On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil wrote:

> Here is some more info on the Triumph Herald I mentioned yesterday.  I have
> no financial interest but will help out anyone interested by getting info.
> It is a 1961 Right Hand Drive, Commission # 9A69649V  (This is what the guy
> gave me on the phone, I wasn't able to get the engine or chassis #'s)  This
> car was just brought over from England, and from what I can tell is
> unrestored, in above average condition.  The interior is in excellent
> shape.  The car is not mint, but it is very nice.  The dealership is asking
> $5080.  - Andy is there any other info you need?

Interesting. First off, price seems high, but who knows? It depends on a
number of factors.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with the Commission number as given to you.
I would guess that the leading "9" is actually a "G"; GA is the Herald
1200 series. Then, assuming the main number is correct as given to you --
69649, this car would have been built sometime in 1962. However, that
leaves the suffix letter "V" to keep things really interesting. That would
indicate that the car is a Courier Van! On the other hand, if the correct
number actually is more like "GA6964CV ("C" instead of the last "9"), then
it would be a 1961-built 1200 convertible.

If it's a Courier (akin to our sedan deliveries, as in miniature panel
truck!), this would be major cool! ;-)

--Andy