Re: my car stopped...

To: tthorn@comp.uark.edu, dterrick@pangea.ca
Subject: Re: my car stopped...
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@earth.nwu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:09:12 -0500

Then Dave Terrick wrote:

>>A good friend's spitfire
>>(78) just performed the same electronic slacking and a new xr
>>700 ignition kit solved all.... and then some.

Then "harve" says:

>same problem, similiar fix - I just went to a mechanical setup
>rather than electronic.

Now my two cents... :)

My car, a 78 Spit, had been retrofitted to a mechanical points-type
distributor by the PO. I think these troubles with the stock unit was the
reason for the switch. I remember the PO saying somthing about heat causing
a problem with it. The points require a little more love and attention, but
they seem to be more reliable in the long run.

At one point, I was considering switching the car back to electronic
ignition, but for now I am happy with the points set up. Any thoughts from
you guys on this issue? I might want to upgrade someday to a
performance-oriented aftermarket distributor in conjunction with a Weber
carb. Just an idea I'm kicking around. What do you think?

Eric.

Eric A. Yates * eyates@earth.nwu.edu
1978 Spitfire 1500 * FM 71614 U
Chicago, IL  USA