Strange Electrical Phenomena

Subject: Strange Electrical Phenomena
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:10:44 -0700
Hello All,

Well, I thought my Spitfire was smiling at me because of it's new O/D. Turns
out it was one of those looks you give when revenge is on your mind. I'm
having a strange electrical failure, which looks like it's due to two
factors.

First, I had gone out for a nice drive and the car performed perfectly. All
electrics worked. About an hour later I went back out to run to the store,
and none of the gauges or stereo worked. Basically, it appeared that
everything tied to the accessory position on the ignition failed. The
failure list is: temp gauge, fuel gauge, turn signals, stereo, windshield
wipers. The still working list: horn, ignition light, headlights.

So I fiddled around a bit, swapped out all the fuses even though the
originals test out OK, and all of a sudden it all came back to life. Until
you turn on a turn signal. Then everything cut out. More fiddling and it
appears some of wires connecting to the fuse box are of questionable
connection. Jiggling and pressing them got everything to come back and stay
back. So the first problem is in that area, but I'm wondering if I can do
much about it without removing the dash again (I don't have the heart to do
that immediately after 2 months of down time doing other things).  Any ideas
on how to fix things without tearing the dash back out??

The second problem goes back to the turn signal. Even though I've now got
the original failure list working, about 50% of the time that I use a turn
signal, it momentarily cuts the circuit to everything else. This is most
noticeable in the stereo, the music just stops for a moment and then it
re-starts itself. It's probably also happening the gauges, but they are slow
enough to register that it is hard to tell. Does anyone have any idea of how
to start figuring this one out?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have --- even with all the above it sure
is driving nice!

Dave Moag
77 Spitfire
62 TR3B