u-joint experience today

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: u-joint experience today
From: KEVIN EDDINS <EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 17:23:19 -0500
Made as short as possible, for those with tiny attention spans as myself.

I took on the task of changing my prop shaft u-joints today and I
experienced some problems that I thought might help some of you in the
future.

The front flange was quite a pain to get to, so I figured I'd just bang on
the rear joint from underneath the car.  I had the front on ramps and the
rear on stands, so there was a good bit of room to work with.  I beat and
beat and finally got cap pushed out.  So for the other cap I beat on the
joint mount to work it out.  Well, it didn't work.  I finally had to give in and
remove most of the exaust to get to the front flange and little by little got it
out.

Problem:  I beat the end of  the mount, where the cap is supposed to
come out, until I distorted its shape.  I worked for an hour trying to force
that little junky cap out and it stopped on both sides right at the clip
groove.  CRAP!!!  Well my neighbor suggested a little grinding drill bit to
grind the inside.  It worked great!

Lesson learned:  don't beat the flange.  neighbors are great resources.
don't try the short cut.  hammers hurt fingers.

Other suggestions:  use wood under what you are beating.  take your
time.  pray BEFORE the problem arises.

If anyone wants more info, just ask.

Please help me on my CV-joint question.

Kevin