Re: 2 Questions...

To: James Carpenter <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Subject: Re: 2 Questions...
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:58:15 -0800
James Carpenter wrote:

> I am 6'3" and I have know problems, ok I maybe only 21 but still.  I have
> the seat right back, and it fit's you snugly.  My car is a right hand drive,
> and I have noticed the right side is easer to get into than the left.  It is
> also easer to get into the car if the top is down, which is why you should
> alwasys have the top down.

James, I am left handed, so It is easier for me to get in and out of my
LHD Spit.

> Has anyone noticed that driving the Spitfire hurts your right hand sholder
> (left for LHD) on long journies, I think it's the angle of the seat belt and
> the fact you are realy close to the B post. .  Yet I find it's very good for
> my lower back, modern cars get that.

Sorry, haven't noticed that anomaly.  But I have noticed that I get
lower back pain when I am bent over the engine for long periods of time
and then try to straighten up.  I end up walking like Groucho Marx for a
while after doing so.

> About my car's sag, my car shows a definat lean to the right, so I park in
> on a hill and it sorts it out fine.  I just say it's the superdooper
> autoleveling system the car haves.  I think the lean of your car should have
> been a field in the Spitfires database.

There "IS" a field which indicates this.  In all the models up to MKIV,
it's the suffix that tells the story.  If it has the Letter "L" it leans
to the left.  If there is no suffix, it leans to the right.  The letter
"O" means "Oh My God, it's completely collapsed!"  On the 1500's you
look for the U suffix which indicates a list to the left.

> It is a comon flaw, it must be posible to find a common cure, and that will
> me my mission in life, I will not stop until every spitfire is rid of its
> saggy bum.  I replaced the air shocks with normal ones in my car, and it
> made no difference altogether, although the handeling improved with the oil
> ones.  If you remove the front anti role bar it makes the whole car lean.
>
> My car has this other problem though.  It not only sags left to right but
> front to rear as well.
>
> I can put three fingures between the wheel arch and the front tire, and the
> back tire is above the level of the rear wheel arch by about one fingure.
> It looks like it's about to take off.   I was wondering if I put a new
> spring in the back to rase the back to normal level should the front of the
> car go down as the center of gravety shifts forward?

James, your car is suffering from the early '60's Hot Rod syndrome.
That means with it pointing up in the air like that, it is actually
traveling up hill all the time.  This of course means that you are
robbing yourself of sorely needed power.  The remedy is to jack up the
rear end and have the front pointing down.  Then you will actually gain
power since it will then be going "down-hill".

Regards,
Joe

P.S. If you believe all this BS, then you definitely need help.

  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer