my story

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: my story
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 09:21:12 -0800
I live in a development of 2K homes that is really rather small in
regards to people knowing each other and their hobbies, being the owner
of a few antique cars I am rather well known for these. One day I get a
call from a school teacher who has a old foreign car she bought brand new
in 1978 sitting in her garage she wants to get out of there. In matters
of this type I am a very good neighbor to help out anyway I can. Turned
out to be a 1978 spit with 41K on the clock and a repaint from BRG to a
nive red, I ask why the repaint and she says a fire in the wiring burned
the hood paint off within 2 months after she the bought the car from a
local dealer. Reason for selling, the car is just too hot in the cockpit
to drive in the summer time, especially back and forth to school (26
miles ea. way), and also it was towed into the garage not running, and
she just gave up. Her husband was the boating type and could care less
about her sports car problems. Bought a new battery, replaced the elec.
ignition, chaged the oil & filter, she started-up on the first hit. Drove
it around for most of the day and she was right it was hot in the
cockpit. A three inch hole in the tranny cover and 4 rubber grommets
missing from the fire wall, you can guess where all these ventilation hot
air holes were aimed I'm sure (straight at the drivers). The car was 100%
orig. except paint, no rust, good top, seat covers (not the padding)
tires etc., after a three hour drive she wanted to know if I could see my
way clear to pay 500.00 for it less what I had already spent repairing
it, being a kind person, I told her I would absorbe the cost of the
repairs and take the car off her hands for the 500.00. For 6 years now it
has been my daily driver and I have had to replace the altenator, but
nothing else. I still keep my eyes open for another school teacher I may
be able to help out of a bad case like this again.   "FT"