Re: It runs but..

To: "Craig" <smi2685@ibm.net>, "Spit list" <spitfires@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: It runs but..
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:50:02
Craig,  You mentioned two things that caught my attention.  One was "Total
Rebuild on Engine"  and the otheer is "Timing Way OFF"  If I were to guess
when they reassembled the timing chain they might of not lined the cam and
crank up correctly.  This would most definitely cause you engine to run
absolutely awful, if at all.  You might want to explore this option.  As
for the no spark on #3, sorry no idea, that hasn't allready been mentioned.

HIH,
Patrick Bowen

At 02:49 PM 1/10/99 -0500, Craig wrote:
>OK here we go again... Sorry for all the posts
>
>Let me give some background.
>Total rebuild on engine.
>Carb problem fixed (I think)
>Engine runs but I must choke it, I can't turn the choke off or it stalls.
>
>I checked the timing with a light, To get it to run the timing is way before
>the marks on the metal degree settings on the timing chain cover. I tried to
>time it to 8 degrees but it won't continue to run when I try to get it even
>close to the plate.
>
>On another deal, #3 isn't even getting any spark through the cap. I moved
>the induction from #1 wire to all the wires and I get a nice light except
>#3.
>I haven't bought a new cap or button but it should fire if the other 3 are,
>right ?
>
>Craig Smith
>71 Spit MarkIV
>Getting Closer with a little help from my friends!

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL