Re: height of the car?

To: Toni Thorn <tthorn@comp.uark.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: height of the car?
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:35:33 -0500
At 09:29 PM 1/10/99 -0600, Toni Thorn wrote:
>... I started wondering what the actual height of
>the body is *supposed* to be.  I looked in the manuals that I have (Hayden
>and Bentley) and found just about everything except what I was looking
>for.
>
>How do you know when the thing is at the right height?  I have the 155-13
>tires and "standard issue" wheels.
>
>Is there a spec for "inches above the wheel and below the fender" or what?

Hi Harve,

I too was not able to find a "spec" for wheel-arch-to-rim.   I would
suggest that the rear camber would define the proper ride height.   Without
looking it up precisely, the spec is something like 1 degree negative (top
of wheel closer to body than bottom) with no passengers, and around 3
degrees with a driver and passenger.  (When the springs sag, they are maybe
 10 - 15 degrees negative)

I would measure my Spit for you (rear spring is only one year/2000 miles
old, how bad could it be? ha!), but I have the front end on stands right
now.   Maybe later if you still need it.

P.S.  Keep a close eye on the pressure in those airshocks.   Since the
volume of air contained in them is small, a few degrees of temperature can
really affect the lift.

Cheers,

Atwell "On The Level" Haines
'79 Spitfire