misfire at idle

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: misfire at idle
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:31:37 -0500
Hi,

I know that we have had this discussion many times, but I need to ask
another question.  I just got my '76/79 hybrid back on the road.  Basically
a '79 bottom end with '76 head and emissions, new headgasket, valve
job,rebuilt carb (by Apple hyd.) timing set at 10 deg. btdc, carb tuned
using colortune and 150 psi on all cylinders.  The car runs great has good
torque and acceleration and doesn't seem to miss while running on the
street but it has a fairly ragged idle.  It almost sounds like it has a
really high performance cam installed (like a top fuel dragster).  I have
never heard another spitfire idle other than the two I have, is this just a
characteristic of the breed?  Has anyone else seen this problem and it's
solution?

TIA

Glenn