brake problems continue - help pleeeze

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: brake problems continue - help pleeeze
From: KEVIN EDDINS <EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:36:42 -0600
My problems continue.  I've rebuilt the rear cylinders, the master cylinder,
the PDWA, and replaced my lines with braided stainless steel.

The pedal goes to the floor after bleeding nearly a quart of fluid through
it.  The first time I bled it I could tell that a large amount of fluid was
coming out of the rear as I was bleeding.  But there didn't seem to be
much at the front.  No pressure would build as I pumped it.

I then removed the rear drums and pumped to see if the cylinders were
working.  They were pumping with the pedal.  When I replaced the
drums, I noticed that I had a little pressure at the pedal.  So I bled the front
right and could tell much fluid coming out at each pump during the bleed.  I
gained some more pedal.  When I bled the front left, I lost all pressure!
And I can't get any fluid out of the front.

I did bench bleed.  It is a '79 spit with the tandem type master cylinder.

My diagnosis is the PDWA valve is shifting and screwing things up.  I am
wondering if I can remove that valve and start over on the bleeding.  Will I
have any problems other than loss of brake light function?  Any other
advice would be great.

I have read about recentering the PDWA, and it is not as easy as stated.

Sorry about the length.  I was as brief as possible.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin