Re: brakes, brakes, brakes

To: "Tom Spinelli" <t_spinelli@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: brakes, brakes, brakes
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:38:28 -0500
> I had a similar problem on another vehicle.  I replaced my entire
> braking system but still could not get my front brakes to work. I had
> bled at least 3 quarts of fluid but still got nothing except clear
> fluid.  Only after I removed the calipers and positioned them so the
> bleed screw was at the highest point did I get the air out.  I talked
> to many mechanics (backyard and professional) about this and they
> never heard of anything like this.  I don't know why the air would not
> be bled out but it worked.  It is worth a shot to try it. CAUTION --
> Put something in the caliper to prevent popping out the piston. Good
> Luck.

Huh??? Doesn't your solution actually make sense? The bleed screw should be
at the highest point since you are trying to force out air which is less
dense than the hydraulic fluid and therefore would accumulate on top of the
fluid. If bleed screws were at the lowest point, the air would rise to the
top of the wheel cylinder and compression would not be too likely in moving
it down toward the lower bleed screw. Yes? No?
Cheeers
Keith Stewart